The Support of Loved Ones Increases Success Rate in Fitness Journey!February 10th, 2010
With Valentines Day upon us, I would like to take this opportunity to discuss how your loved ones affect your fitness journey. The commitment to get fit and lose weight is a life changing endeavor. It will certainly be one of the most gratifying experiences of your life. It has brought happiness to so many people and I am certain it will bring happiness to you also. There are times when the resolve to stay fit is tested. You may need to lean on the shoulders of your loved ones or they may need to lean on yours.
When you begin your fitness journey, let your family and friends know how important it is to you. Let them know that you need their assistance in keeping on track. Let them know that they may be called upon for support. In the long run it will be better for all of you. When you feel better about yourself, your relationships most likely will be stronger.
One way to engage the support of your loved ones is to include them on your fitness journey. Invite them to join in when possible. Always be welcoming, but never pushy. You may be surprised how receptive they will be. Try the tips I have included below to involve your loved ones in your fitness routine.
1) Offer to go for a walk.
2) Find a local fitness center that offers couple or group memberships.
3) Find an activity that you can enjoy together such as skiing, bike riding, or hiking.
4) Explore healthy new recipes or restaurants together.
5) Try partner exercises such as tossing a medicine ball.
6) Find a group fitness class that you each will enjoy. Some classes that are very popular include indoor cycling, cardio kickboxing, or body toning.
7) Consider purchasing some in home exercise equipment that will benefit the both of you. You may wish to purchase two exercise machines so that you may exercise at the same time.
Exercising with someone who is important to you is a great motivator. Each participant knows that their involvement is helping someone they care about stay or become healthy. Exercising together is the best way to help your friends or loved ones retain a higher quality of life for a longer period of time. What could be more motivating?
By: Jim Bompensa
Jim Bompensa has been a health club owner and manager, personal trainer, group fitness instructor, and nutrition specialist for the nearly 15 years. He is currently the owner/operator of Body Physics Fitness Center in Haddonfield, NJ. Jim has appeared and contributed on ABC and NBC in Philadelphia, PA as well as Designing Spaces on TLC.