Elliptical Machine for Weight LossMarch 13th, 2014
Any piece of exercise equipment can help you lose weight if you use it properly. However, if losing weight is your primary fitness goal, the elliptical machine is highly efficient at burning fat. It is a safe and effective tool for maximizing weight loss and improving overall health.
An Elliptical Machine gives you a Cardio Workout
- Good for your Heart: The elliptical machine offers the same cardiovascular benefits as a treadmill. It gets your heart pumping and your blood flowing. Regular elliptical training reduces your risk of heart disease, lowers triglyceride levels, and improves heart function. It allows you to get a great cardio workout while experiencing low perceived exertion. This means that you won’t feel like you are working as hard as you actually are. You get maximum benefits with minimal risk.
- Increases Your Resistance: Elliptical machines are extremely beginner-friendly. They carry very little injury risk, so even people with little athletic ability can get a great workout on them. Plus, they are flexible enough to continue to challenge your body as you get stronger. As you increase your resistance, your body will work harder and burn more calories.
- Burns Calories: A workout on this machine burns an average of 800 calories per hour. You can increase this number by working out at a higher resistance setting or by pumping your arms while you pedal. The method know as High Intensity Interval Training provides the maximum calorie burn for this machine.
An Elliptical Machine Builds Muscle
- Strengthens Leg Muscles: An elliptical machine targets and tones your calf, thigh, butt, and hamstring muscles. The circular movements engage all the muscles in your lower body. Plus, this machine gives you the option of pedaling in reverse. This will not only add variety to your workout, but it will also target your leg muscles from a different angle.
- Strengthens Upper Body Muscles: The arm handles on an elliptical allow you to work your arms as well. Not only does this increase your cardio benefits, but it also tones your upper body. Plus, your position on the elliptical requires you to engage your core muscles to keep yourself erect.
- Building Muscle Burns Fat: Your body burns more calories maintaining muscle than it does maintaining fat. So, building muscle makes it easier for your body to metabolize fat. Plus, firm, toned muscles are sexy while fat bulges are not so much. Also, if you are lowering your daily calorie intake in order to accelerate your weight loss, exercise is crucial for maintaining muscle mass. When you eat fewer calories, your body can burn muscle as well as fat unless you exercise regularly.
Elliptical training can be a great addition to any workout routine. It is a good recovery exercise when interspersed with high intensity weight training. It also complements muscle-isolation exercises like crunches. It’s an excellent machine for people who want to lose weight.